(1) Glowing or shining like fire
"From rank to rank she darts her ardent eyes"- Alexander Pope
"Frightened by his ardent burning eyes"
(2) Characterized by strong enthusiasm
(3) Characterized by intense emotion
"An ardent lover"
"A burning enthusiasm"
"A fervent desire to change society"
"A fervent admirer"
"An impassioned appeal"
"A torrid love affair"
First attested circa 14th century, ardaunt, from ardant, from ardentem, nominative of ardens, present participle of .
- 1956 — Arthur C. Clarke, The City and the Stars, p 43
- This ardent exploration, absorbing all his energy and interest, made him forget for the moment the mystery of his heritage and the anomaly that cut him off from all his fellows.