(1) People living in a large densely populated municipality
"The city voted for Republicans in 1994"
(2) A large and densely populated urban area; may include several independent administrative districts
"Ancient Troy was a great city"
(3) An incorporated administrative district established by state charter
"The city raised the tax rate"
- popular, shortened form for the City of London, the historic core of London where the Roman settlement of Londinium was established
- a metonym for the United Kingdom's financial industries, which are principally based in the City of London
- A popular name (not always capitalized) for any of several other cities in metropolitan areas (such as San Francisco)
- the City