(1) A republic in central Europe; split into East German and West Germany after World War II and reunited in 1990
- Country in Central Europe. Official name: Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).
- (countable; hist. 1949-1990) Either of the German states, FRG and GDR. The two Germanies exchanged permanent representatives in 1974.
- (countable; hist. pre-1871) Any of the German states. Melton’s useful new book traces the explosion of public institutions in eighteenth-century England, France and the Germanies.
- Countries of the world
- Deuts, Deutsch
- Diets, Dietsch
- East Germany
- German Democratic Republic
- German Empire
- German language
- German, Germanic