(1) Able to survive under unfavorable conditions
"Strawberries are hardy and easy to grow"
"Camels are tough and hardy creatures"
(2) Resolute and without fear
(3) Having rugged physical strength; inured to fatigue or hardships
"Hardy explorers of northern Canada"
"Proud of her tall stalwart son"
"Sturdy young athletes"
(4) English novelist and poet (1840-1928)
(5) United States slapstick comedian who played the pompous and overbearing member of the Laurel and Hardy duo who made many films (1892-1957)