(1) The organized action of making of goods and services for sale
"American industry is making increased use of computers to control production"
(2) Persevering determination to perform a task
"His diligence won him quick promotions"
"Frugality and industry are still regarded as virtues"
(3) The people or companies engaged in a particular kind of commercial enterprise
"Each industry has its own trade publications"
From < < ; origin unknown.
- The tendency to work persistently.
- Over the years, their industry and business sense made them wealthy.
- Businesses of the same type, considered as a whole.
- The software and tourism industries continue to grow, while the steel industry remains troubled.
- The steel industry has long used blast furnaces to smelt iron.
- Businesses concerned with goods as opposed to services.
- There used to be a lot of industry around here, but now the economy depends on tourism.
- The sector of the economy consisting of large-scale enterprises
- automated production of material goods