New York City
(1) The largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river; a major financial and cultural center
- New York, New York, the largest city in the United States of America. It consists of five boroughs: Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Situated at the mouth of the Hudson River in New York State.
The term New York City can refer to the island of Manhattan alone but most often refers to the entire city. The city’s official name is simply New York, but is referred to as New York City or New York, New York to distinguish it from New York State.
- 1971, Carol King and Toni Stern, “Where You Lead”, Tapestry, Ode Records
- I always wanted a real home with flowers on the window sill,
- But if you want to live in New York City, honey, you know I will.
- 2007, Pulitzer Prize winning author Frank McCourt recently described New York City as, “an urban oasis of togetherness and a beacon of man’s compassion toward fellow man.”