(1) Termination of a business operation by using its assets to discharge its liabilities
(2) The act of colonizing; the establishment of colonies
"The British colonization of America"
(3) Something settled or resolved; the outcome of decision making
"The finally reached a settlement with the union"
"They never did achieve a final resolution of their differences"
"He needed to grieve before he could achieve a sense of closure"
(4) A conclusive resolution of a matter and disposition of it
(5) A community of people smaller than a town
(6) A body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government
(7) An area where a group of families live together
- The state of being settled.
- A colony newly established; a place or region newly settled.
- The gradual sinking of a building. Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- The delivery of goods by the seller and payment for them by the buyer, under a previously agreed trade or transaction or contract entered into.
- A disposition of property, or the act of granting it.
- A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of legal residence.
- A resolution of a dispute.